BLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE photo dotFWF_zpsbc04b97d.pngBLOG TITLE

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Magic Outside

Saturday morning (okay, afternoon) I woke up feeling a bit out of sorts. As we ate Eggos in bed and tried to plan our day, I wasn't feeling it. Clarification: I was definitely feeling the Eggos, not so much the planning part. I just had no desire to get out of bed quite frankly. Do you ever have those lethargic moments? Or days, even? When they roll around from time to time, I find it difficult to get motivated and do the things I normally love to do.

Zach desperately wanted to do yard work; he loves it. He asked me to come help and though I was hesitant (very hesitant), I obliged. I walked outside and unpleasantly offered my assistance. He put me to work pulling weeds (the most HATED chore of my childhood) and I grumpily agreed to give it a go for a few minutes.


Minutes turned into hours, my friends. I pulled like a champ. Dirty, cut-up fingers ripped roots from the soil like nobody's business. I thought. I daydreamed. I appreciated life and the glory of nature, the fact that we actually have a backyard to enjoy now. I soaked up not only the sun, but also the quiet company of my sweet husband and the beauty of God's creation. It was therapeudic. No better word.

Scenes from our afternoon:
my cutie, hard at work
 the smell of fresh, blooming flowers
Mocassins in 75 degree weather? No big deal. Empty box of Girl Scout cookies? Shamefully kind of a big deal.
 the contrast of dark/light, palm/pine trees
yanking up those little devils

Hope this inspires you to get out and find joy in the simplicity of nature. You won't be sorry, take it from a waffle-eating bum.

13 comments:

  1. what i would do for 75 degree weather and girl scout cookies right now ... and what a gorgeous flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 75 degrees sounds amazing...I always tell my husband we need to move back to CA because that's what the weather is there too. Sadly I live in Utah and there is currently snow on the ground. Summer never comes soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha- Don’t we all have those days where doing nothing sounds absolutely delightful?! And 75degree weather- Girl, I’m glad that husband made you go outside. That sounds wonderful!! Although 50degrees in January, in Baltimore- I ain’t complaining one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm one of my favorite kind of GS cookie! :)
    -wHiT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha LOVE THIS!! I can TOTALLY relate to the lethargic mornings. My hubby is very rarely like that & on the weekends like to get up and go. He has his list of things he wants to do WAY before I even realize it's the weekend! You were a champ & did an great job! BTW - you worked those waffles off for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hated hated pulling weeds when I was younger it totally sucked, I think I would managed a bit for a little extra time with the hubbs though!!!! Oh and of course the Girl Scout Cookies hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brit you are funny! I am glad y'all are having such nice weather and jealous of the backyard that you can call your own. I can't wait for that! Yummm for Girl Scout cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I soaked up a jewelry party and a Monte Cristo sandwhich. That's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! And it was a warm weekend, wasn't it? Ahh, life in South Texas :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh, i couldn't agree more...being outside and getting some fresh air is so exhilerating! your garden is beautiful and still, though i know tx is a lot different than pa - it amazes me how different weather can be.
    ahhh, sleeping in and staying in bed is so wonderful.
    sometimes it's needed. sounds like you had the best of both worlds!!
    wishing you lots of sunshiney days <3
    xoxo
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! I love the mocassins! :) And I love the girl scout cookies, as I read this post and saw your pictures I was wishing I was you, okay not the pulling weeds part obviously but the laying on the blanket part with the cute mocs and cookies! I unfortunately am waiting for spring to come back around because out here in Chicago it's a little chilly! And my yard=parking lot..until we can get out of apartment living!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love!